This is the general outline of the program Aired on Hebrew Nation Radio December 18, 2014. There is a great deal of material covered so these notes will allow the listener to review and obtain a wealth of background material at their convenience. Note that all colored text are embedded links to sections of our Fusion4Freedom web site which is, of course, safe and secure.
Part I. History & Background of Man’s Use of Energy:
As a matter of interest and in the essence of disclosure, please note there are different religious and scientific views on the age of the Earth and Universe. Dr. Gerald Schroeder, in Jerusalem, author of four well known books, has addressed this issue from the perspective of a Ph.D. in nuclear physics as well as an Orthodox Jew teaching at a Yeshiva in Israel. His work is beyond the scope of this discussion but he has reconciled the 13.6 billion year old universe (according to the cosmologist,) the 4.5 billion year old Earth (according to the geologist) and the 5,775 years from the time of “The Creation” (the age of the world according to traditional Judaism and our rabbis.) His paper, “The Age of the Universe” explains the mathematical model and his book, “The Science of God; The Convergence of Scientific & Biblical Wisdom,” first presented this and became an Amazon dot com best seller book for nonfiction. We believe the universe is 13.6 billion years old, the Earth is 4.5 billion years old and this year on the Hebrew calendar is 5775. Thus never let it be said that religious Jews and Christians form the party of anti-science.
- In 1710 or roughly 300 years ago, our worldwide population was slightly over 600 million
- By 1850 it rose to 1.2 billion
- By 1950 it rose to 2.5 billion; 100 years population doubled.
- And by 1999 it rose to 6 billion; in fifty years population more than doubled; equated to 100 years it more than quadrupled Follow this link for the numbers.
- There are three fundamental prerequisites for human survival in numbers:
- Security from attack (nature, animals, man)
- Energy to fuel above
- Early on man discovered dried plants and wood to burn for energy.
- Later he discovered animal oils as liquid fuel and then coal.
- Finally he discovered and learned to process the most portable of fuels, petroleum.
- All of these fuels were provided by our creator over a very long period of time; 500 million years.
- And no matter how you look at it and who you ask, fossil fuels are finite; they are being depleted and it will take hundreds of millions of years for them to be recreated in the quantities we have seen over the last hundred years of exploiting them.
- Indeed man will have used all of them except dried plants and wood up in under 400 years certainly by 2115.
- But our creator also gave man something called intellect. Unlike all other animals in the world that simply adapted to circumstances around them, man has the unique ability to alter those circumstances and to alter his surroundings. And so it is with energy.
- Today many “smart men,” mostly politicians and Madison Avenue media experts will say, no worries; no problem. Go renewable. Go solar. Capture the wind. But there is a problem with that thinking. It does not work.
- We can generate enough usable energy from all the currently discussed alternative…renewable…green…energy, sources to supply slightly less than 4% of forecasted 2050 energy demand, assuming that poor underdeveloped countries are allowed to become industrialized countries…and hungry people are to become decently feed people.
- Take solar as an example. Numerous claims have recently been made that solar can produce all needed energy for America in a few decades. Is this true? Not even close. In fact to produce America’s current electricity production by solar only would take over 29 billion 1 meter (close to one yard) solar panels which at the rate of 1 per second, would take over 900 years to produce and yet they only have a life of 25 years.
- 29.3 Billion one square meter solar panels are required for 100% solar power
- If 1 square meter PV panels were manufactured at the rate of 1 per second, it would take 929 years to manufacture 29.3 billion panels
- The cost of a solar only approach exceeds $15.27 trillion
- To meet all energy demands for transportation, industrial, and commercial-agriculture would require 176 billion solar panels and 5,574 years to produce
- Moore’s Law is not applicable to the production or deployment of solar panels
- Increases in “solar cell efficiency” have little impact on land area to produce utility scale power
- Unsubsidized Solar has applicability in rural areas and developing countries with low population density
- How it is the public and politicians have been allowed to think this way? It has resulted from the inaccurate and inappropriate emphasis put on the issue of AGW or “global warming caused by man.”
- This has led to enormous financial corruption in the government and on behalf of what I call Big Green Business.
Part II. The Solution:
The solution is to convert matter into energy through an atomic process similar to our current nuclear fission energy but in an entirely safe way we call fusion. Unlike our current nuclear fission, fusion does not use radioactive elements like uranium. It uses a form of Hydrogen available in sea water. And it works by combing atoms of light elements together to form a new element, most commonly Helium, and releasing a tremendous amount of energy in the process. It cannot blow up or melt down. It produces no emissions or greenhouse gases and no radioactive waste. It is the ultimate “green energy.” And when 2 ½ grams of the hydrogen fuel sources are completely fused we create close to 250,000 kilowatt hours of electricity. Follow this link to learn more about fusion power and a practical approach to developing it.
- In 1976 ERDA or the Energy Research & Development Administration – the predecessor to the current DOE –acknowledged that fossil fuels were finite and a new source of energy must be created. They proposed the answer which was a robustly funded fusion development program.
- In 1980 President Carter signed the Magnetic Fusion Energy Engineering Act which was to have demonstrated fusion energy by the mid-1990s and actually have one fusion energy plant on line by 2000.
- However this Act was never properly funded once President Reagan took office.
- In 1985 by agreement with Mikhail Gorbachev of the former Soviet Union, the U.S. effectively gave up its fusion development program along with its military Strategic Defense Initiative “star wars” program. Gorbachev proposed an international fusion development program which Russia and the U.S. would be equal partners in. That did not happen although an international program called ITER did result a decade and a half later.
- Today that program is participated in by 7 countries as partners; the US is a 9% partner.
- The program is years behind schedule and billions of dollars over budget and is in jeopardy of imploding due to recent allegations of mismanagement and poor audit results.
- Today we know for absolutely certainty that fusion power is the only realistic solution to the worldwide energy needs by mid-century.
- Many people will say fusion is too difficult and that billions and billions have been spent studying it and attempting to control fusion in the lab. Often times phrases like it is 50 years away, always has been and always will be are used.
- But this is the “party line”; not the truth. I have published a detailed article called “Who Killed Fusion” which covers the history and politics of how fusion has been mismanaged.
- Pat Boone in Hollywood and I have written a series of articles on fusion which cover the science in layman’s terms, the history, politics, and mismanagement. Follow this link for a video of Pat Boone and Tom Tamarkin discussing this as well as an index linked to the entire series of articles.
Part III. Where we are Today and Why Israel Must be involved:
- The development of fusion power is critical for Man’s survival. However we still have key areas of science involving high energy physics, plasma science, and the like, that we have to fully understand before we can make fusion a reality.
- The United States under direction of the President & the Department of Energy has virtually reduced the fusion energy science budget to zero except for ITER related obligations. Follow this link for an official presentation by E.J. Synakowski Associate Director, Office of Science For Fusion Energy Sciences U.S. Department of Energy.
- The Department of Energy does not treat fusion as an energy solution but rather as “an interesting science that should be explored by academics.”
- Yet for “believers” fusion is God’s choice for energy, because it hearkens back to the Big Bang and the fundamental process by which our universe, world, and us, came into being. See: “Fusion: God’s Choice for Energy.”
- Israel is alone in the world to tell it like it is; to show exactly what the green energy sources can and cannot do; and to take on a science based project like fusion development…in time…under proper conditions.
- Jewish tradition based on the teachings in Chasidic Tanya, state that Israel is not a state or geographic location per se, but rather the collection of all Jews (Jacob) throughout the world. When one country outside Israel has the majority of the world wide Jewish population, that country assumes the responsibilities and accountabilities of Israel as set forth by G-d and handed down to the Israelites at Sinai. Today, that country is the United States of America as our Jewish population is ever so slightly greater than the State of Israel. See more in Tamarkin letter of October 28, 2010 to outgoing U.S. House of Representatives Majority Leader Eric Cantor.
- Sir Isaac Newton wrote volumes of works on Jewish and Christian scripture and concentrated on his concept of the “end of the days as we know them now.” Much of his work was based on the prophecies of Daniel and the Book of Ezekiel. All of Newton’s collected religious papers are now on file at the Hebrew University, Einstein Center in Jerusalem, Israel.
- Newton believed there would be a period of relative peace followed by a [period of great conflicts and war, to be concluded by a period of lasting peace. Israel was the focus. He forecasted the formation of the Jewish state and specified the time frame of 1940s. And he said in his works the period from 2012 to 2060 was the period when the conflict would end and the Jews all around the world would migrate back to Israel to usher in the “New Creation” along with the Moshiac or messiah.
- In 1980, Israeli Science and Energy Minister, Yuval Ne’eman urged the Israeli Knesset to launch a massive fusion energy development program. He believed this was the key to Israel’s security and long term financial future. Follow this link to a video interview by Tom Tamarkin of Dr. Shalom Eliezer who was an associate of Professor Ne’eman and a worldwide expert on fusion. However Israel was a very new country then and did not have the money to pursue the project. Furthermore at the time, key American leadership such as Henry Kissinger, James Baker III, and others would not allow it.
- Relatively recently, in April 2009, we observed the Jewish celebration known as the Bircat HaChammah or the blessing of the Sun. This figured into newton’s thinking and calculations and provides a time window to get fusion developed before it is too late. This can be seen as a symbolic sign that we must learn how the sun works and duplicate it on Earth for our future energy needs.
- Israel must be involved; it is Israel’s destiny and that of the Jewish people to solve energy correctly which strikes at the evil use of oil revenues in the Middle East financing Jihad.
- Step 1 is to educate the public in basic science, energy facts through simple books, videos and a series of hit video games rule based on science.
- This must be done in Israel whose universities and institutions are not affected by the powerful, corrupt, green energy industry and Arab oil money.
- Step 2 is to build fusion experimental research facilities in Israel. Part of the justification is that Israel is less burdened by the regulatory bureaucracy based on legal, safety, and other environmental issues. This leads to quicker less expensive scientific results.
- Partnerships with U.S. national labs such as LANL, LLNL, Sandia Labs, and an Israeli enterprise partner to “down select” fusion concepts and put teams together under a centralized cohesive management structure.
- As fusion is developed the vast oil revenues to Middle East oil producing countries will hemorrhage and their ability to divert funds for Jihad will dry up. Fusion is the solution to the Petro-Islamic threat holding the world hostage.
- We have developed a plan to form a private enterprise in Israel which will take on fusion development and we have a novel means to fund it.
- What has the primary impediment been to the development of fusion? Man’s cognitive dissidence. As long as we make money from oil, gas and coal, and as long as our country is great building on that economic base there is no incentive to do something to alter the status quo. Man has two souls; the animal (Nefesh) and the God given humankind soul (Neshamah). When the two are in sync, he does great things. Follow link to Dr. Gerald Schroeder essay.
Closing Statement and Call for Action:
- By 2065 most of the existing electrical generation capacity or coal, gas, and nuclear generating plants in the U.S. will be off line and retired to their age. We must start to replace these old generation stations beginning 2030 (at the latest.)
- We can no longer rely on coal; no new coal plants will be built in the U.S. because of government regulations and media/public perception.
- Natural gas is limited if a conversion to all electricity from gas were to take place.
- Nuclear fission is a solid alternative but the public is against it for all the wrong reasons and it takes a decade just to get approvals and licenses in place to build a new nuclear plant and costs millions and millions of dollars in the process.
- Fusion is the only realistic solution. However we have a decade of science based R&D ahead of us followed by another decade of applied engineering and materials development followed by 1 to 2 decades of infrastructure replacement through construction. This takes us to the 2050 and beyond time frame.
- We must start now; every year we delay is an additional year we are behind schedule and reneging on our responsibility to mankind to insure his future survival.
- Developing fusion IP (intellectual property and scientific know-how) & technology will give countries/companies assets that can generate tens…hundreds…trillions of dollars over the next hundred years, as the whole world needs energy and is a market. And from a geo-political standpoint, “HE WHO CONTROLS ENERGY CONTROLS THE WORLD.” This is probably the only source of revenue and negotiating leverage America can and will ever have to pay off its 17 trillion dollar national debt.
Find out about Isaac Newton and his thinking on this subject